Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Own your creativity!

The actual term that is on the new button I made is, "Regift like a Boss!". It features one of my fun, 1950s housewife images (from some truly awesome old 40s and 50s ads in the public domain, I love it!) of a woman smiling (they always smiled back then) as she is tying a ribbon on a fancy gift. Here is the original image I used:

Aren't these pics just awesome? I think we all have a tendency to believe the past is where the 'better days' were, well...maybe so...but I doubt that they thought so then, lol. And what's really fun is to add sarcastic quotes that are common for the lives we live today, to these 'picture perfect' images of (mostly) housewives from the past. Which is what I do.

And I love it :)

I've been crafting in one way or another for a lot of years, although making buttons and magnets (and soon, cupcake toppers!) is a newer endeavor for me, just in the last couple of years. Prior to this, off and on, I've done mostly artistic painting, some sewing (decorative dolls, back when they were the craze in the 90s), and I was actually quite successful at it. Not enough to make a living but I did alright and I had a lot of fun doing it. These days the majority of my 'creativity' comes in the form of pics like the above, Gimp (it's like PhotoShop, but for my Mac...and it's FREE, look it up it's awesome), and my button maker/magnets. I wanted something that was more...streamlined and wouldn't create as much clutter as some of my past crafts had done. So what do you suppose happened...? Yep...I have things scattered from one end of the house to the other, lol.

Creativity is not a 'neatness' thing, is it? At least for me, it isn't! I need to remind myself that a future blog post needs to be about an orderly area for craftwork (a girl can dream, right?!). Something inexpensive, cute, functional. You wouldn't believe all of the things you can do and create with what you have around your home, trust me on this one! Like I said, craft it like a boss, and OWN your creativity...sky's the limit!

This is my first blog post, and in the future here is what I hope to add to it, in order to have people actually want to come here and read what I have to say, lol:

*Sarcastic Freebies - I would like to post some finished 'sarcastic' quote images for you to print, and use whatever way you would like to use it~
*How-To - Maybe you would like to figure out how to do your own 'clean ups' on Gimp- I don't think I would ever be successful enough at Gimp to write and publish an extensive book on all of its attributes, but...I get by, and I can show you how to as well!
*Blogs on Other Crafty-Type-People - I don't need to steal all of the thunder for myself (!), when there are LOADS of truly gifted crafters that I admire out there, many on Etsy where I have my own shop as well~
*Tips on having your own crafting business from home - I'm not giving up my day job (ok, I don't have one, I stay home and my husband works, but I work too! lol), but I've actually had some success at my shop on Etsy. It wasn't overnight, for sure- but I can tell you the things that have worked for me, and I'm also spreading my wings a little to include a Shopify site, and I'm even looking into posting some youtube how-to videos, as well!

Brave soul, yes she is, lol.

Until next time, God Bless!






No comments:

Post a Comment