Monday, March 14, 2016

Politically Correct? Not Usually!

Am I the only one who struggles with this? Probably not....

When I'm creating yet another new pin or magnet, there is always (I won't even say 'usually', because that is not the case...it's 'always') a sarcastic, or at the very least, dark, snarky remark right there with a somewhat innocuous picture from the 40s/50s. 

It's just what I do, lol.

Politically incorrect? Or just a little bit of fun?


ANYway...there have been times where I think to myself, "wow, this is a funny saying, yet somewhat horrifying at the same time...is this politically correct?" And I'm in a quandary at that moment, wondering to myself, "Is this going to offend someone/everyone?". Truth be known, everything we say at one time or another is going to offend someone, somewhere. You just can't get away from it. So what is the measure that we use to figure out where that line should be drawn? Oh, I know, there could possibly be a list somewhere, pages and pages long, listing all of the things we can't/shouldn't say. But I have a better idea. 

Common Sense.

When you know that something you say/write is going to be truly offensive, I mean, truly offensive, when you know that it is wrong (and yes, deep down? We know...), well...you don't say it. You don't write it. 

Now, there are going to be people (and I've run across them) who are going to find something to be offended about in either what you say, or what you write. And there is just not a thing you can do about that, it seems to be what some are about, you know? But by using some good old-fashioned common sense, we can pretty well figure out what it is that we should and should not be saying. What was it Jiminy Cricket said? (Yes...Jiminy Cricket!)


And honestly I think if we all do that, unless we're some sort of mindless, hideous, brain-eating zombie (just kidding, lol), it won't let us down.

God bless! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment